Monday 30 January 2012

Grungeboard bracelet

Gosh doesn't time fly! It's already the end of January and nearly the half term holidays! I haven't had much time to scrap as I have been preparing for my university course which starts this week. However I ordered some grungeboard the other day and the shop sent me an inspiration leaflet which showed how to make a watch bracelet with grungeboard. I love the effect and I just had to try it.  I have since seen on youtube that there are hundreds of tutos showing you exactly that but to be fair it's pretty easy once you give it a go. Here is how I did it:

You will need:
1 sheet of grunge board
1 set of hitch fasteners (Tim Holtz idea-ology)
an old watch
scisors or sharp cutters
hole setter
various ink pads etc
stamps


First cut a strip of grungeboard about 3,5cm wide and about  8-10 cm long depending on the size of your wrist. You can use the old  bracelet you took off as a template and measure the width that's needed to fit the slot. Once you've done that allow about 3,5cm for the return and cut so it fits the slot. Round off the ends of your new bracelet with a jar top or anything suitable to give a nice rounded even edge. 






Try if the flap fits nicely and make necessary adjustments.









 Next piece a hole about 1cm from the bottom edge so you can fit the hitch fastener through and do the same on the other side of the bracelet where the top part of the fastener will go.

You should also mark where the holes for the fasteners which fix your bracelet to the watch should go. I did this by actually putting the watch/bracelet around my wrist and marking where I wanted them to go. I am not keen on measuring and I tend to just use my eyes for this. Not always accurate but works for me.  However if you want it equal on both sides just use a ruler! Remember though that if you measure it whilst flat the holes will be slightly offset when it's around your wrist so allow for the curve in your measurements!





Try out the hole for size and ease the fastener in and out a couple of times to make sure it fits nicely.






 
Take the fastener off and start decorating your bracelet. I used Brilliance fast drying pigment inks but you could use any archival inks for a similar effect. I like the brialliance range because they shimmer and as they are rather wet to start it makes it easier to apply on the grungeboard surface.  It doesn't matter what side of the board you use but I prefer the smoother side as it give the illusion of leather.







I colour both sides but it's up to you. However make sure you ink the edges to give it a more professional finish. 






Most people use the hitch fasteners for fixing the little flaps down but I used some brads because the watch had bling around the face and the hitch fasteners are all in antique colours and I didn't feel it matched. Anyway it works for me but you might prefer the fasteners.



I was so pleased with the results that I decided to make a bracelet too. That's even easier since all you have to measure is the length and width of the bracelet and then decorate it! You can dry emboss, heat emboss, use shimmers etc... You could even use your big shot to cut nice edges or fret work so really the limit is your imagination! 



 My friends are already asking me to make them one to go with particular outfits!

Having read my explanations I thought you might need to hear it from the professionals and I found this lady who does it much better. Take a look at her site and video tutorial here

7 comments:

  1. ça c'est vraiment super original!! bravo, j'adore!
    Et merci pour tes coms chez moi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. moi aussi j'adore, j'en veux unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn j'aime le rose, les fleurs, les chats......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tu as le grungeboard, les instructions ci-dessus, les tampons dans tes tiroirs, y a plus qu'a...!lol

      Delete
  3. t'es pas drole ! ;) tu sais bien que c'est toujours mieux quand c'est les autres qui le font !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok taille de poignet? je verrais je que je peux faire.....

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness these are AMAZING! Beautiful work of art that you can wear! Love this! Thanks so much for your kind comments on my post over at the WOC blog! I greatly appreciate the time you took to leave me a message! :) As for your question about painting the metal corners, I've use acrylic paint on the one; but I have also used Tim Holtz Crackle Paint on them too. The only thing is I then used the Decoart Shimmer Paint to go over the Crackle paint because otherwise the crackle paint wanted to peel off where it cracked. I hope this info helps, please don't hesitate to email me if you have further questions. :)
    Hugs~
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow c'est super beau! J'ai un morceau de papier Tim Holtz qu'on m'avait donne dans un swap. Je crois que je vais me faire un petit bracelet. Merci pour la tuto.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. It is much appreciated! x