Thursday 4 April 2013

Not quite papercrafts!

David had been moaning that I have taken over the office with all my craft stuff and that he had nowhere to put his things. To which, I couldn't help pointing out, that most of his stuff is rubbish that needs sorting instead of piling up .... but then I took one look at my office and thought ...kettle.... pot.... black.... you know what I mean...!
Anyway I was fed up of his stuff hanging around the kitchen worktop, the top of the kitchen cupboards, in the wine rack (!!) - you get the picture - so I decided that I would find him his own space and filing area. He doesn't have as much as me, since I file all the house bills, so it's strictly for HIS papers. I started to look on ebay and found this bureau which was badly photographed and hadn't had any bids. Lucky for me! so I swooped in and hey presto, I won it! (for once that I win something - when I say win, it did cost me 25 quids but still...)
So here it is in all its glory before (this was the photo used on ebay - see what I mean about poor photo?!
Still it didn't look bad enough to deter me from snapping it...




So I started by sanding it roughly to get rid of the varnish finish and allow the paint to take on better. I wanted to use Annie Sloane chalk paint to save on time and primer but unfortunately there are no local stockist near me in Birmingham so I decided to prime it and use Farrow and Ball paint instead. Since I am French I thought French Gray would be most appropriate -especially since it matched some of the colour in my wallpaper! 


I hate sanding but it is important when you prime to make sure you get a durable finish. Farrow and Ball in particular is quite unforgiving if you do not prepare your surface properly.  Since i don't fancy doing this again for a long time , it was worth putting in the elbow grease at the start...


Once the unit was primed, the worst was done and I just gave it two coats of paint to get my final result. I am still not quite sure it is going to stay quite like this. I quite fancy adding some vintage french writing on the door, and maybe a brownish glaze to give it some dimension.  However, for now, it will do as I have plenty of other things to do.  At least it blends in the decor of the room, so for now that's good enough for me! If I do any changes you'll be the first ones to see,  I promise!! 



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. je n'ai toujours pas décidé quoi mettre sur le devant mais il me parait trop vide, donc dès que mes cours sont finis, il va avoir des modifs...

      Delete
  2. hahaha j'adore l'histoire!! et aussi le meuble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. merci Marjanne, je suis tellement prise par mes cours de fac en ce moment que passer deux jours à retaper ce meuble, valait bien la semaine de retard que cela m'a causé dans ma dissert...lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. It is much appreciated! x